Northstar Integrated Health
Treatment for TMJ Dysfunction in Lisle, IL
When various internal & external jaw & facial muscles contract or spasm, there can be a lot of subsequent pain & discomfort when opening & closing the mouth or chewing food. Basic muscle manipulations, stretches, maneuvers & acupuncture can calm these spasms. In some cases, antispasmodic medicines can help in conjunction with physical modalities. The jaw is linked to the pelvis & sacrum from a kinematic chain perspective; this means the patient could actually have sacral dysfunction in the back, but as the dysfunction & maladaptive responses move upward, they make their way all the way up to the jaw! It’s imperative to get a thorough work up on the kinematic spinal chain, something we fortunately can do in-office. It is also very common for patients to have exacerbated clenching problems due to stress. Our office works on relieving stress with active physical therapies, relaxing the muscles, releasing tension, & bringing the patient’s body through ranges of motion with our therapists in order to help restore proper form, function & performance.
Jaw discomfort caused by TMJ is a common ailment that may be quite severe and uncomfortable. It is caused by a misaligned jaw joint, which can hurt and make opening and closing the mouth challenging. If TMJ jaw discomfort is not treated, it may worsen and cause headaches, neck pain, ear pain, and even hearing loss. Thankfully, there are several remedies for relief for tmj pain. Physical therapy, medications, and lifestyle changes, such as learning relaxation and stress-reduction strategies, are a few of them. There are also surgical solutions for those who have severe TMJ Jaw Pain problems. With the right treatment plan matched to each patient’s needs, there is relief from tmj pain.
What are the ways of treatment for tmj dysfunction?
Temporomandibular joint dysfunction (TMJ)-related jaw discomfort can be excruciatingly unpleasant and make it challenging to carry out daily tasks like speaking and chewing.
The following are some methods that might help reduce TMJ symptoms:
- Ice the affected area to aid with pain relief and inflammation reduction.
- Activities for the jaw: Some activities, including slowly opening and shutting the mouth, can assist stretch the jaw muscles and ease joint strain.
- Avoid meals that are stiff, sticky, and hard since they might make symptoms worse. It is preferable to select soft, simple-to-chew meals.
- Avoid chewing gum since it might intensify symptoms by tightening the jaw.
- Muscle relaxation: To help with pain management, jaw muscles can be relaxed: You might try a little tmj disorders treatment massage of the muscles or applying heat to the aching area.
- Posture: Good posture can assist ease jaw and neck stress, which can lessen symptoms.
- Use of medication: Your doctor may give muscle relaxants or anti-inflammatory medicines when there is severe pain and inflammation.
You should consult a doctor to get a diagnosis and a more suitable course of treatment for tmj pain, if your TMJ symptoms persist.